Old 12-18-18, 07:59 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2618 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts
This article and this page on Jagwire's site help illustrate the differences between standard coiled/helical brake cable housing, compressionless index shifting cable housing (which should not be used for brakes) and compressionless brake cable housing.

So far I haven't found it necessary to use compressionless brake cable housing to improve braking on my three bikes, whether short runs for cantilever brakes on one hybrid, or full length cable runs for the road bike or errand bike. "Sport" grade housings from Jagwire and Sunlite, a step up from their cheapest basic cable housings, have been good enough for the rim brakes on my bikes -- cantilever, V-brake and sidepull. For disc brakes, yup, I'd splurge for the best housings.

If your budget can swing it (mine can't always), buy cables and housings in bulk and a decent cable/housing cutter (Jagwire's is very good for the money), and you'll feel a bit more free to redo the job until you're satisfied it's right. When I tried to pinch pennies I ended up with serious compromises in shifting and braking. So I put some cables and housings on my Amazon wish list and waited for a discount. That way I got packages of 10 stainless cables (both shifter and brake) and enough housing to do several bikes, for the price of one retail priced kit for a single bike. I've seen items I bought for $10 from Amazon double and triple in price within a day of when I snagged a discount -- although that may be a benefit of being an Amazon Prime subscriber. Sometimes folks I've referred to Amazon for those discounts say they couldn't get the same prices.