Old 12-19-18, 11:46 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
While I agree with that statement if applied to people who don't want to learn how to wrench. Like a coworker who pay LBS to fix his flat tire and lube the chain.

But if someone is willing to lift a wrench and get his/her hands dirty, I think most cheap bikes can get the job done. At a fraction of the cost. I am very happy with all the money that I saved. And I learned so much valuable skillz. I have not a single regret for buying cheap bikes.
Nope. Has nothing to do with knowing how to wrench or not. You could be Sheldon Brown and a cheap bike is a cheap bike and putting money into it is not worth it at all. A bike should not suck brand new and should not really have problems when it is brand new that is a good sign of a bike that is a money pit. Regardless of the wrenching skills parts do cost money and while there is some less expensive stuff that gets the job done if you are putting say $50 of parts in a bike that isn't really worth that except maybe in scrap you are wasting your money.

When you ride a nicer bike you will know why they are nicer and why your bike wasn't worth putting money into. If all you eat is gas station burritos, Taco Bell will seem like gourmet food.