Old 12-21-18, 10:34 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
...Cheap used bikes may be crap, or can be something pretty decent...

So if stored well, a 15 year old used bike can be very nice and infinitely better than Walmart crap..
Absolutely. Even a 25 or 35 year old bike can be way better. Just head over to the classic and vintage section and see all of the great old bikes that you can find. This summer I picked up a Bianki Campeonay deetalia for $350 that had an 8-speed mirage group. Obviously it puts anything new at that price range to shame, and even if Mirage is a lower end group, it will last a thousand times longer than any of the junk on these Amazon bikes.

Plus, with a new bike selling at that price point, I'd be downright worried about the integrity of certain parts, including the frame. (Although I must admit that I actually like the look of the Tourney derailleur).

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Make sure the cable ends are squared off
Is there something I don't know? How would the cable ends affect performance once installed? Getting them in and out of the housing, yes, but once in place and secured down?