I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
They most definitely DO the last bit.

I tried to start a small wheel building company.

Got my business licenses lined up and paid for.
Got my equipment started.
Got a niche product that I wanted to build.
Was working my prototypes (now mostly complete).
Started some market research.

Went to Shimano to buy hubs, cassettes, and small parts.

[SIZE="6"]NOPE[/SIZE]

Ignored by DT (need to try them again, but not a peep). But, the hardest thing was an absolute refusal from Shimano to sell parts.

Went to a local bicycle wholesaler.

Asked about minimum order ($500 or $1000??? not that high). Met all the requirements... Cash in advance purchases.

[SIZE="6"]NOPE. [/SIZE]

They don't sell to small startup businesses.

Hard to get one's business running when one can't acquire the raw materials.

Oh, and you want me to support the small businesses that try to leverage themselves to prevent startups from starting in a completely different niche not competing with them.

Oh, and there is a reason why it had to come from Shimano. My parts list was so obscure, that not a single local business would have them in stock. We're talking about value added small manufacturing.

[SIZE="6"]NOPE. [/SIZE]
You know I went through all of that as well, right? It's frustrating but they will sell. You have to meet the requirements. What's more they were burned by so many enthusiasts who came up with a business license and claimed to have a plan but didn't have brick and mortar who just flipped parts that they had to do something.

I have been "blessed" with accounts and had them taken away for all of the reasons you cite above. Calls to account managers by my crying wife saying they were ruining us for no reason happened even.

What I took issue with in your statement was that you said they won't sell to internet only sellers. This is incorrect. It happens often. I was able to buy and have accounts when I was intenet only. There are usually different cost structures and they watch you like a hawk. the difference between this and your experience is that the internet only sellers they sell to have actual business brick and mortar. be it warehouses, office they rent, etc - they "exist" in these guys minds.

For everyone in this business it's just simply too risky for them to take a "chance" when that person doesn't seem to have any skin in the game (investment in infrastructure).

EDIT: Oh and again - don't know where you keep getting this "im asking you to visit local businesses that are against you...."

I must not be seeing what you're seeing. Buy what you want from whomever you want. If you want to go into business in this industry and be a competitor then do it. You have to jump through the same hurdles I have to. But I'll be damned if I am not going to complain about Shimano if you are able to get parts for less than I can. It is supposed to be about how we compete with each other.

As for DT - they won't talk unless you're buying at least 5,000 spokes per length or spending $4k or $5k minimum order. I don't even bother with them. They rely on Q. "Get a Q account" they say.

Last edited by Psimet2001; 12-21-18 at 02:59 PM.