JupiterGuy
SeaLevel

Bikes: 2006 Trek 7.7 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tivoli1
In my test rides, I didn't pay attention to shifting. I bought the Breezer Liberty. And, I really like it. BUT, I'm not crazy about the shifting, particularly shifting from the middle gear to the high gear. It's hard to shift, I have to push IN too far, for too long. I mean, not extremely long or anything like that, I just don't like the effort involved in shifting from the middle gear to the high gear. I really don't like it. Any ways around it/fixes?
Tivoli:

I may be wrong here, but after reading your post and the responses, it may be that everyone got the impression you were talking about shifting to a larger chainring (the gears between the pedals, which you would use the front derailleur for), when in fact you were talking about shifting to a larger gear in the back (on the freewheel, which is the gears on the back wheel, which you would use the rear derailleur for).

If that is the case, it may just be that the rear derailleur needs adjustment. Maybe the rear derailleur cable has already stretched (they will do that when new), or maybe the rear derailleur was never properly adjusted. Also, if that is the case, everyone was thinking you would be spinning fast and that you wanted to shift to the larger chainwheel in the front, when in fact you were wanting to pedal easier (maybe because of a hill) and you were shifting to a larger gear in the rear (on the freewheel).