View Single Post
Old 12-23-18, 03:19 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 121 Posts
Thanks Coppa, that was interesting. I can see the theoretical aspects of this, but .6" or 15mm seems pretty small. I also wonder with the often stated advantages of frame building with alloy and carbon fiber to control flex, if this is real world feel or academic for the average rider. I like how Trek also lets the disc caliper move. That was not usually an issue with rim brakes.

Having done the same thing with sliding horizontal dropouts and having owned bikes with both longer and shorter chainstays, I can really see the attraction, but wonder about the overall balance as longer chainstays usually come with more fork rake and different frame angles. For my current ride I went with a bike marketed at the time I bought it as a cross bike. I say this as it has also been marketed as a light touring and now as an allroad bike. But I wanted the shorter chainstays for climbing, and am very satisfied and find no downside. I did have to fine tune the cleat position to avoid slight toe overlap with the front wheel.

My problem is having adjustable chainstay length might rob you of an excuse to get a second bike.

I will say one thing, I have never had a wheel slip in a horizontal dropout with old school covered cam QR skewers (original Campy design) even when I weighed 40 pounds more than now and had a load or was on unpaved towpaths. Frame flex yes on the old bike, but never wheel movements in the dropouts.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 12-23-18 at 03:28 PM.