Old 12-24-18, 11:05 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Somebody needs to make them wireless and with induction charging. Probably not possible with current battery tech.
The wires are between the battery and the heating element. No way to really get rid of that.

Originally Posted by MoAlpha

Vapor barrier works by letting the skin get wet and keeping the insulating layers dry. Nothing, no matter how woolly or poly, is as effective at insulating when it’s damp. If you’re in neoprene rubber rubber booties, that sweat isn’t evaporating, anyway. Definitely effective and one forgets about the slimy feeling.
I’ve done this with nitrile gloves in my mitts while skiing. Helps marginally, but the gross factor and stink factor is significant enough to rule it out for me. There are other better ways to stay warm. If my hands stink, I’d shudder to think about feet and hygiene in general.

Layering on your hands is far more effective. There are over-mitts you can buy which go over your regular gloves/mittens and add another way to prevent air movement and keep warm and limit bulk. Phew.cc makes some cycling gloves that are just that. Amazingly warm without bulk. The principle applies
to regular gloves and over-mitts too.

I’ve tried it all especially in skiing down to -32F. During the winter I’m often outside for hours on end in rescue work so I’ve had a lot of experience at this sort of thing.