Old 12-26-18, 05:54 PM
Erzulis Boat
3rd Grade Dropout

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Originally Posted by keithdunlop View Post
Thank you for starting this thread - I'm in downtown SLO if anyone local wants to train together. I'm targeting the 75 mile route.

I'm doing this for the first time and am just starting to collect parts for a "new" build based around a Guerciotti Record frame. Here's my question about gearing -- it seems contradictory to me that that you have this "vintage" bike ride on a course that requires mortal riders to gear their bikes almost to the point of a mountain bike. I've seen Eroica bikes equipped with mountain bike derailleurs and 32 cog cassettes mounted to modern freehubs and 36 inner chainrings. This seems odd to me. I'm in my early 50's and fit and I plan to run Campy Super Record all around, which likely means 52/42 with a 14-28 freewheel. I'm prepared to do a little walking if needed, but the purist in me wants to avoid going outside the spirit of the event.

Am I going about this wrong?
I did it last year with 43-24 being my easiest gear. On the uphill dirt, once you get out of the saddle, you just spin out and it's walking time. I was way less smoked at the end of the ride than I figured beforehand, but it was no joke nonetheless.

I am running 43-30 this year.