Thread: Ideale Saddles
View Single Post
Old 12-27-18, 09:42 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
I bought a 92 in 1984 in a local bike shop. *Aside from what I've read on line over the years since then, that's the only actual fact I have. *How does this fact fit in? *Should I be able to discern whether my saddle is a Record or a Professionel? *And what if myne also has the Daniel Rebour designation.

Were they model numbers, or serial numbers. *My saddle does not have a serial number, as far as I can tell.
The serial numbers were on the aluminum badge riveted to the back of the saddle. The 92 didn't have serial numbers. Only the Professional saddles had serial numbers. The badges are often missing and the stamps illegible, but you can still tell the incuse lettering (record) from the relief lettering (professional).

As I said, the "professionnel" was a leather treatment, as opposed to "speciale competition" (another leather treatment?) and "type record" (untreated). Many models (51, 52, 57, etc) were available as either "professionnel" or "type record"​​​​​​ versions.

The model 80 was usually "type record"​​​​​​ but there was also a comparatively rare "speciale competition" version, apparently indistinguishable from models 45, 70, and 87, which were also comparatively rare. These all had the "special competition" treatment, all the same frame and same rivets etc. As far as I can tell, they are exactly the same. Were they all made at the same time, or did the model number change? I don't know.

Furthermore, some models (80, 90) could be had with either a steel frame or an aluminum one, whereas other models were either one or the other.

So anyway, the Rebour stamp on top of the 92 refers to another leather treatment. I don't know much about it, apparently a Proofide-like goo that (as the stamp says) was applied by hand. I have heard that these saddles came in a plastic bag and you had to wipe off a bunch of that stuff when they were new. Hearsay; I have never seen a new one.
it is really hard to tell what these various leather treatments were like when they were new. The saddles are now 50 or more years old and they've been ridden and left out in the rain and maybe treated with Proofide etc, who knows what any given saddle has been through.