Old 12-28-18, 12:57 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra View Post
...the focus, the conversation narrows down to Bike Friday and Brompton, when the world of folders is so more varied and interesting. Cheap Dahons, and over-priced BF and Brompton is all people know. Bias and ignorance pervades the segment.
I guess it depends where you are though. Here in the UK perhaps not surprisingly Bromptons seem the most common folding bike you see out and about. I've never seen a Bike Friday on the roads and I'm not sure I've ever seen a modern Dahon bike on the road although did see one of their classic bikes recently. Most other folding bikes I've seen are vintage like Raleigh Twenties or just entry level models. I would say the majority of bicycles you see out and about on the roads are often mountain bikes closely followed by typical road bikes and hybrids. Many might say the most interesting road or mountain bikes are high end models too but I'm fairly sure the vast majority of bikes sold in the UK are quite low priced with Brompton being a rare exception.

Amazon best sellers shows most folding bikes they sell are bottom end models but I don't think they represent high sales compared to normal bikes and as you get down the list sales dramatically drop off in comparison to those at the top.

This being a bicycle forum with people very enthusiastic about bikes are more likely to understand the perils of such cheap bikes and set their sights a little higher.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Seller...orts/550030011

My point is where you are in the world might dictate your perspective on folding bikes to some degree. Dahon means very little over here and Bike Friday even less so. Realistically over here with very limited spaces for full size bikes on trains and no space at all for such bikes on buses Bromptons really dominate as folding bikes for commuters.