Old 12-29-18, 04:07 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tripods68 View Post
I'm leaning with DB Century 6 Carbon vs Domane SL6. I have experienced with Trek Domane but not with DB. Feels you get more money for your bucks going with DB Century.
I believe you have to look at the more money proposition from two perspectives. Do you keep your bikes until they die or do you flip them at some point. Also with carbon need to consider the warranty IMO if not buying used. Some smoking deals on ebay for barely used or demo carbon bikes for 60% retail.

To me, I only deal in name brand stuff. Some may also believe that is a false economy but to me it isn't in peace of mind and also resale.
Now diamondback isn't a non name brand but if buying a bike I consider perhaps Trek among the top 3 or 5 and don't consider Diamondback even though it maybe a perfectly fine bike. I will say that Trek bikes incorporate the best R&D in the world...I believe in the top 3 with their designs and just don't believe a company like Diamondback can because they don't have the sales volume to defray this overhead cost.

So to me, the Trek would likely get the nod...or another name brand company with high recognition so if I want to flip the bike, I will get some residual value for it.

Also if you share what kind of a rider you are...are you fast or average...do you compete with your friends or are more of a smell the flowers kind of guy?...how much does speed matter?...what is your target tire size based upon what kind of terrain you ride, this would help create other options as well. Trek redesigned the Al Emonda for example which fits pretty big tires and this with 105 maybe all you need. 105 is excellent and in fact aside from a few grams, GCN performed a blind test against DA and couldn't really feel much of any difference....Shimano has trickled down so well...us being the lucky recipients.

A counterpoint to the redesigned Trek ALR if ride quality is your thing is the following article. One could ask, how could this be? I admit some surprise. Why didn't Trek build more compliance into the ALR or more room for bigger tires? So if ride quality is the key, you may want to consider a carbon offering. I will say the counterpart bike from competitive manufacturer, the aluminum Specialized Allez I own and redesigned for 2018 has ride quality rivaling my carbon bikes and it will fit 28c tires comfortably. It also has BSA bottom bracket, lowered seat stays for more rear compliance and aerodynamics and full carbon fork. Also has state of the art internal cable routing with full cable housings for fantastic gear changing performance. A great bike for the $$ and not much speed difference versus my fastest bikes if looking for cost effective endurance bike. I have tweaked mine with carbon handlebar and seatpost...only personal preference for setback and ergonomics mostly...of course some weight reduction and damping comes along for the ride.

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/2019...da-alr-review/

Last edited by Campag4life; 12-29-18 at 04:27 AM.