View Single Post
Old 12-30-18, 12:14 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
And it fits in their size guidelines. It would be nice if someone would push this with the Amtrack rule makers.
Seems risky. Current Amtrak rules on the size of folded bikes as carry-on are very generous (48"x34"x15") compared to other carry-on luggage (28"x22"x14"). If you convincingly argue that any bike which 'fits in their size guidelines' should be treated the same, regardless of having a folding frame, they might well decide to only allow bikes that fit their regular luggage size limit. My current folder would still fit, but I'd have to do more disassembly - same as I do for airline travel. But those with folders that have bigger wheels would then be out of luck.

I'd still recommend that anyone trying to take a regular but 'rinkoized' bike on Amtrak as carry-on have it neatly bagged before entering the station and keep it that way until out of sight at the destination - and accept that there's a small chance you'll be challenged by a conductor who's a stickler for their rules. Amtrak has slowly been improving their policy with regard to bikes - let's not give them a reason to reverse that trend.