View Single Post
Old 12-30-18, 06:20 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
What's not to love about this bike given that it's your size? I love old MTBs and I rescue them from time to time. This looks to be in very good shape and I love the 80s specialized color schemes. I own an '87 specialized rockhopper, an '87 stumpjumper comp, and a '91 team stumpjumper.

My vote is to overhaul it and ride it. You won't find a better commuter/grocery/lock up bike at this price,

Plus it will make a great gravel road bike for all those fire road in CO. You can add bar ends or get some of those interesting handlebars with more hand positions (like the VO crazy bar).

Or you can turn this into a drop bar gravel bike pretty easily which is what I did to my '87 specialized stumpjumper comp. One advantage that 80s MTBs have for drop bar conversion is that their top tubes typically aren't as long relative to the seat tube length as they would become in the 90s . My '87 comp has the perfect geometry for a drop bar conversion for me (20 inch seat tube, 22.5 top tube); my '91 team not so much (18 inch seat tube, 22.5 top tube).

Last edited by bikemig; 12-30-18 at 06:28 AM.