3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
As far as I can remember the nuovo record always had to over shift and the back to get the gear right, not that is a bad thing it is just they way they are. Possibly the shifters but I don't know I use campy shifters on them as well.
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Yes, the NR shifts, but very slowly, with a lot of over shift and trimming action required....
A beautiful derailleur but performance is marginal, compared to even their French counterparts.
...you can remedy most of this by using die drawn stainless derailleur cables, and instead of that stupid shiny spring rear cable housing, using something from one of the modern manufacturers that is plastic lined and has zero compression like the stuff used for indexed shifters. Add a KMC 8.93 chain and your're golden It still doesn't work as well as the same era Shimano indexing in the 80's, or Suntour cyclone stuff in the 70's, but it does work a lot more positively, requiring minimal overshift and return. All this presumes everything is clean and lubricated well in the proper places.

And it still won't handle much in the way of a largest rear cog. I can only get them to work well with about 25 teeth or less. But it was never designed or intended for use with larger rear cogs. Anyway, I just thought I'd throw that in here, FWIW. In the 80's, Bianchi sold the Giro one year with an SLX frame and all indexing Dura Ace. That's a nice setup. But it requires little skill in shifting, so if you're into friction shifting skills, it gets a little boring.