Old 12-31-18, 07:50 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Cielo Sportif Classic, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C View Post
Other than aesthetics, is there a problem with anodized black rims wearing down to bare metal from braking? I assume the same is happening on silver rims, except it doesn't change how it looks.

Of course I don't disputing wanting to keep nice rims nice. I'm just curious for in case I ever come across black rims that I might want to use.
the design is literally based on material wear. Some alloy rims even have a ‘wear indicator’ on the sidewall, just like tyres. Obviously a rim sidewall can last a very longtime. Far longer than you’re likely to want or need to use the rims. But every time you pull the brake lever you’re wearing down the aluminium. If you ride in the rain a lot, with rim brakes, the life of your rim will be greatly reduced. The hardness and type of your braking compound can make a difference, but most people are using more or less the same compounds, regardless of brand, because every manufacturer is copying each other. My one advice for people who use rim brakes in the rain, regularly, is to clean and inspect the pads regularly. You’re at a much higher risk of your brakes tearing off small pieces of the sidewall and having them get embedded in your pads. This will happen more if your sidewall has a machined braking surface.

as far as the anodising is concerned, my opinion is that it just makes no sense. Yea it looks good, but it will wear away. So don’t buy anodised rims unless you’re using disc brakes. If you care about those aesthetics of course. it stands to reason that you do though, if you specifically chose colour anodised rims. Anodising is essentially just a coloured (or ‘clear’) electrolyticly forced, (surface) oxidation. Manufacturers like anodising because it’s cheaper than polishing or paint as a means of protecting against oxidation. (It’s also easier to control the thickness than paint) The extra ‘hardness’ that anodsing provides, that manufacturers like to talk about, is materially useless to a bicycle rim, or hub, or frame, or handlebars, etc. etc. Because it’s only at the surface. Most silver anodised riims, if they have a machined sidewall, will be bare aluminium or clear anodised on the sidewall. So the wear is the same. It has the same effect.

Last edited by seamuis; 12-31-18 at 08:03 AM.