View Single Post
Old 12-31-18, 02:25 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Let's keep in mind that there are more than a few aluminum cogs out in the world - including track, singlespeed, and multi-gear, as well as some other alloy track cogs from BFSSFG's beloved EuroAsia Imports than the Campy that started this discussion, that people worldwide have been riding without problems for who knows how many years.

I'm not claiming to be an expert re Campagnolo's track cogs (or anything else for that matter ), but when I first got my Cinelli frame I was all crazy to build it full-bore Eye-talian with only "right" parts. Of course that idea fell by the wayside pretty quick, but I did spend a lot of time researching this stuff, since at first I didn't want any "Asian crap" on my bike.

Yes, Campy definitely does not make track cogs anymore, but as in everything else Campagnolo it seems like there is an unending supply of NOS ones like you see in Leukybear's EAI link, or the OP's ebay link; and if one searches just a little there are many to be had for a lot less than that seller's price. And it is important to keep in mind that along the way, besides alloy track cogs - Campag has also produced lots of Alu cassettes too, so they do know how to work with it.

Record Superlight alloy track cogs were produced from as early as the 1960's to roughly the late 80's/early 90's. They were, of course, made for weight weenies who must have the lightest of light. Conventional wisdom now is, like the sentiments we've just seen posted here, that Campa's light alloy track cogs are to be avoided because they are too soft and will "melt away", while their (and others') machined steel ones are good to go. But to be candid...generally I don't accept conventional wisdom/groupthink unquestioningly - do you?

Happy New Year everybody...