View Single Post
Old 01-01-19, 07:34 PM
yellowbarber
porc, pâtisserie & piment

Bikes: 1830 Claude Chevrier Strad model, 1915 Gibson A, 1929 Cuesnon/Beuscher Stainer model, Phil Davidson 2pt mandolin, 1970 JW Gallagher G-50, ca1920 Favilla Brothers grand concert, 2005 Swift Folder, '97 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Why? The only such obstacle I've come across is when there's no rear housing stop on the top tube; instead there's a little tube guiding the cable around the seat tube.
Thanks for the input, but the problem I'm trying to solve has nothing to do with cable routing. Or narrow rims @sweeks
I'm a mechanic myself with a nominal amount of experience and problem solving is one of the things I dig most about my job. This, however has got me stumped. Without trying to describe how to build a watch, let's just say I understand how to setup & adjust a V-brake. Apologies if I didn't make that clear earlier.
The problem is the c-to-c spacing between the brake bosses!
When the rim is too wide, (or the spacing between the bosses is narrow) there is not enough room to set up and align the pads correctly with the V-brakes I already have (Avid SD7), plus pushing the arms out away from the pivot center, thus losing spring tension.
SO: do different models of V-brakes have a shallower profile (c-to-c) between the pivot and the pad mount than others?

The bike concerning the original post is a Bike Friday (20"/406 etro wheels) that was designed for a V-brake. That bike is in my other workshop about 3,000 miles away, will be back there in a few weeks to spin the wrenches and do a little more head-scratching.
The attached photo is the Trek I was talking about - as an example of narrow c-to-c brake bosses - and there is NO WAY one could get a V brake to work in that narrow a clearance without brazing on new bosses that were centered further away from the rim. The Trek's problem is solved. Cantis it is, just not these 1st gen Deore joints.

1988 Trek 520 - narrow brake boss clearance.

Last edited by yellowbarber; 01-01-19 at 10:37 PM.