Old 01-04-19, 10:32 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheseldine View Post
At this point both wheels, the brakes, and the seatpost have been removed. The cables are all frayed and were kind of stuck preventing me from setting the chain on a different ring without the derailleurs pulling on it.

Will those Japanese pedals thread onto the French threads on my bike? I see Sheldon says that standard is 9/16 x 20 TPI and for French bikes it is 14mm x 1.25mm.
I actually think the Lyotard pedals are very nice. I am using them on my French bikes, but I ride with stiff-soled shoes. The benefit of new pedals is that they offer a larger surface so you can more easily use just about any shoe. So . . . It depends on how you want to ride.

The Tourney cranks may already be drilled for 9/16” pedals, and it is easy to find out. Look at the end of the pedal spindle, on the inside of the crank arms (that is, facing the frame). If the pedals are French they will be marked with D and G (droit et gauche). If they are modern standard they will have R and L. If the cranks are French but you do choose to get modern standard pedals, it is easy for a bike shop to tap out the threads on the crank.