View Single Post
Old 01-04-19, 07:13 PM
Raleigh74 

Bikes: '74 Raleigh Professional, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Nishiki Medalist, '85 Gazelle Champion Mondial AB, '81 Peugeot Course, '79 Univega Gran Rally

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cheseldine View Post
I measured the post itself and am still getting 26mm. The post is inscribed with "MAX HEIGHT" then a line under that saying "26 ø SP08"

The seat post only lowers about 2/3 of its length before getting tight. Is that normal?

It’s hard for me to say without putting eyes on it, but there is a good chance the current seatpost is oversized and crammed in there. I would defer to other super mirage owners and trust the general consensus.

Your current seatpost is definitely not original, and one of the “joys” of vintage bike ownership is not knowing everything that was done by previous owners.

If you can find the factory specs on the seat tube, go by that, not the current post. A properly sized post should correct the “damage” once tightened down, if that is indeed the case.

I’m not a super mirage owner, but as others have said, 26 doesnt sound right. A lot of those mid-low 70s bikes called for a 25.4mm seatpost (like my 73 Raleigh Grand Prix). Then again French bikes can be all over the place.

Last edited by Raleigh74; 01-04-19 at 07:29 PM.