Old 01-06-19, 10:59 AM
jcb3

Bikes: 1983 Trek 700, 1972 Peugeot PX10, 1989 Nishiki Cascade, 2014 Focus Izalco

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Classtime View Post
We left in the dark last year. I don't recall the time. Maybe the community want us off the streets before too late. And maybe that is why Heroic is only 110 miles this year. A lot of folk didn't have lights last year and Wes didn' t say anything about it. He did mention something about wanting to see more effort put into our kits this year but everyone looked the part to me.
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Hadn't seen the start time until you posted it, DS.
Maybe I should do the 87 miler again this year, later start time...
Now I'm a bit on the fence about the long ride.

Seems to me that even with the hour lead, the additional 30 miles significantly decreases the socialization (and bike gawking) at the rest stops. When I did the long ride I was feeling pressure all day to push on (maybe the 4 flats had something to do with it as well) but I was pretty much at the end of the riders (Wes was sagging Santa Rita road and luckily I wasn't one of the riders he identified that wouldn't make it by dark) - a long day out riding.

The additional 30 mile loop east of Paso isn't all that interesting, but you do get olive oil bread and fries at Olea farms. And being 20 miles less gives us back an hour and a half, but still 2 hrs riding longer than the coastal route.

Maybe if there was a better/elite award for finishing the Heroic Route.......

Light for sure on both rides.

Last edited by jcb3; 01-06-19 at 11:00 AM. Reason: clarification