View Single Post
Old 01-06-19, 07:49 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
I've been training locally in Mandeville, which is 1000 feet in 5 miles, but easily gets to 4-10% towards the end. Yesterday, I rode from Brentwood (near Santa Monica) to the bottom of PV and back. PV isn't especially hard, but layered into a 75 mile RT ride, it presented a challenge at my stage of fitness. Until last month, most of my longer rides were along the L.A. and San Gabriel Rivers, which are mostly flat.

Originally Posted by GuessWhoCycling
I'm not sure myself since I didn't even notice it!

I believe it is a supposedly steep climb on the Solvang Century. I think it is only about a mile or two long and maybe 5 or 6%. Many riders made a big deal about it. We trained on Mt Baldy and didn't even notice the climb on the century. There was plenty of wind but the 3 of us cruised through the ride in 5:30 without too much effort.

If you live in LA, try riding to Griffith Park Observatory. You don't have to make it the first time, the second, or even the third. Just keep trying to get as far as you can. If you do this, the Solvang century will be a breeze for you.

Same with the Amtrak century and Torrey Pines. Plenty have made a bid deal about the 1 or 2 mile climb on the ride. Some call that the wall too, but it's more of a bump if you train in the hills beforehand.

I remember being introduced to hills. 1 mile 5% was killer. One day I woke up and realized my weakness was the hills. I went back to that same 1 mile 55 hill. Rode up, then back down, then up then down again. Soon I was doing several repeats when I never thought I could do that. Soon after I was riding up Mt baldy Rd and GMR (Glendora Mtn Rd) for fun.