mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingFranco View Post
I will be travelling with my solar eBike (not sure I can post a link here ?). I would like to know:
- what date did you traveled the Leh - Manali highway and do you have a approximation about the earliest time I could go
- How many day of food and water should I carry.
- it is ok to do some camping in India.
- my wheel are 20", it is easy to find replacement.
- I might be looking for a way to go from east India to Thailand (or Thailand to India) by boat. so far no luck in finding something, My bike is big.
p.s My first plan was to travel from Hong Kong to China then India but it seem that traveling in Tibet might be too complicated.
I don't now all your questions, but do know a few based on my travels in the Indian Himalaya as well as other cycling in India:
1. You can check status of the Manali to Leh highway online (https://devilonwheels.com/manali-leh...y-status-2018/). It is closed in the winter. Parts of it can be pretty cold any time of year, but before June it is likely to still be closed due to snow and after August it starts getting even colder - so I'd try for July/August as peak and perhaps September until it closed in October if absolutely necessary.
2. As far as carrying food/water, I'd suggest checking the Wikipedia page for service locations. They are fairly fixed and you won't find much in way of an actual grocery anywhere en route - so you may end up carrying a day or two in places and plan to stop at various points along the way.
3. As far as camping goes. For this route, you will have to camp in a few places to make the gaps and be set up for altitude. For India in general it depends but in my travels in more populated parts of India, I generally don't camp (or bring camping gear if that is only where I go). The reason is in those populated areas there can be people everywhere...
4. I don't specifics on 20" wheels in the largest metro areas I expect you might be able to find a bit of anything - though it can be difficult to do the search. In the remote areas you won't find anything.