Old 01-07-19, 11:21 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alcanbrad View Post
i am not sure exactly what your issue is, but take a look at this thread Improving braking performance I found that the return spring of both the spyres and bb7s was not strong enough to overcome the slack in the Long cable run to the rear

I did read that thread. We initially had the same problem described by the OP in that thread--mushy brake lever, with pads adjusted just shy of the disk the lever would pull all the way to the bars. At that point, adding a spring probably would have helped. But I found the brake cables were kinked in several places. I put new cables in-- and totally got rid of the mush. Very crisp action at the lever. Now there's zero drag of the brake pads with lever released, and the brakes are fully engaged with about 3/4-inch pull of the lever (measured at the bottom tip of the lever), with plenty of room left before the lever would hit the bars if it could. But with the lever pulled as hard as it will go, the stopping power isn't any better than v-brakes. I certainly can't skid the back tire. Maybe I'm expecting too much of the disc brakes? (never had a bike with them before)