View Single Post
Old 01-08-19, 06:20 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

More than any neighborhood I've seen, people are comfortable walking in the streets because nobody moves quickly.
15 years ago, we still had a number of dirt roads in residential areas and in many cases the residents did not want their road paved as they wanted to keep traffic slow and keep volume low. Sidewalks weren't part of the equation as they aren't common outside the center city area. First they paved the roads where they could get 50% of the residents to agree. Then they paved the rest regardless of objections as they were determined to eliminate dirt roads. Although in one case near me on a road that did not connect to anything they simply abandoned their interest in the right of way and it became a private road. As a cyclist, I've appreciated this as it expanded riding options. But I can understand how the residents felt. Especially at this time of year when walking dogs after work in the near dark. The traffic is much heavier and many drive too fast. I take one road home from work every day that I never drove when it was dirt and I do try to slow way down for the dog walkers. But on these narrow roads, I've had people actually pass me when I'm going 30.