USAZorro
Seņor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
Are you sure that's a 57 cm? Looks much closer than a 54 cm to me. In any event, if I could clear the top tube, I would use it. As discussed in the other thread, these were intended for use on muddy roads, so they have great clearance for fenders and wider tires. If you wanna save some money, I would put a modern crankset on it, but that's just me. 35's should clear easily without fenders. No water bottle bosses could be problem when summer comes, but you have plenty of time to worry about fixing that.

I don't think you'll find a better vintage gravel bike. These really were the original gravel bikes. And IMO, you can't go wrong with a 70's Raleigh made with DB Reynolds 531. These cost a fortune back then in 1975 dollars, and few could afford to spend that much on a bike, so they're fairly rare.
I have a 54.6 (aka 21-1/2") and this is the next size larger, so yes, he has a 22-1/2" (aka 57).

Go for it. If you're staying with 700c wheels, I suggest 32's with full mudguards. I see no reason why you couldn't make that bike work.