Old 01-09-19, 09:54 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 Diamondback Syncr, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2894 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 78 Posts
Turning an '89 Ironman Expert into a splatter paint modern drivetrain road warrior!

A lot of my cycling time each year is spent working with local at risk youth as part of a non-profit mentorship program thru RAGBRAI and the local YMCA called Dream Team.
We train indoors 2x/week in March, then ride outside 3x/week from April thru RAGBRAI at the end of July. Bicycles(trek fx1 hybrid), helmets and gloves are generously donated by a local bike shop and new riders can earn the bike(theirs to keep) if they complete the season. Almost all kids have over 1000mi ridden before RAGBRAI which most end up with over 1500mi by the time they dip their tires in the Mississippi.
I mention all this for background and a shameless plug- Dream Team website

one of the new kids this year was an 8th grader(now freshman) who really took to cycling and has an appreciation for all things older. The kid listened to Ben E King for goodness sake!
He asked if I could teach him to build a road bike after the season, so the following is a documented overview of the build.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 01-09-19 at 11:26 PM.