Old 01-09-19, 10:03 PM
motogeek

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707 View Post

Was comsidering a new gravel bike but im currently on a post tax payment type budget (slim) and didnt wish to put a toy on a card, so i thought - hmmmm, i already have a bike with big time tire clearance hanging up in my loft

I dont have any fresh pics, but bike looks the same as when i first posted it a few months back

'76 Raleigh Competition

looks like it will easily fit 35's and maybe 40's as long as its not ridd n in a legitimate mudder -- however. Theyre tubulars so i would need to source some cyclocross tires if i kept the current wheelset

this bike is a 22.5, which translares into a 57c. I normally ride a 54. Question is this and its directed to the folks who were around back then, - but is this kind of the size bike that would have been sold to someone 5'8 or 5'9 back then? In that time era i had probably just gotten my first 20" banana seat bike , so i know nothing of adult bike sizing in the era

i took it for a ride as is, -i have close to proper leg extension without any seat adjustment (it might need to go down an inch, but not quite a french fit arrangement yet), but its a reach to the hoods so would need a shorter stem

its a fun trip back to yesteryear for sure, but i'll scrap the idea if the size seems too sketchy to you guys' - was just looking for another easy winter project and in my eyes, would have a lot more style on the group ride than a new Surly or Salsa

Also, i have done a quick search but does anyone know a source for chainrings for the 3 bolt TA crank?
52-42 combined with a 28 big cog in back was an eye opener on the shakedown cruise compared to the stuff i normally ride

Interesting pic of your Competition. Looks like it's running a long cage Huret Jubilee RD as opposed to a short cage RD. Did that bike come that way or was it changed at some point? I've had a couple Competitions and have seen the catalog and all info indicates they came originally with the short cage. Just wondering. Great riding bikes, BTW.