Old 01-10-19, 07:29 AM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtseymour View Post
There is NO downside. Hydraulic brakes have been around so long that mfgs will use the optimal piston sizes for braking power and modulation. With both cable-actuated hydraulic (eg. HY/Rd) and full hydraulic brakes (eg. R785), there is enough reach and engagement adjustment at the lever stroke is appropriate. I've used over a dozen hydraulic brakes and lever stroke length has never been an issue. Here's a typical review on the Hy/Rd:

"The HY-RD definitely outperforms any mechanical disc brake Iíve ridden, surpasses TRPís own Parabox brake system, and comes close to the Formula R1-based 324 Labs system weíve spent a good amount of time on. It also looks a lot more elegant than any handlebar or steerer tube-mounted system, at a weight competitive to the popular standard, the Avid BB7 mechanical disc brake. (CX manazine):"
My reply was not focused on a manufacturer selecting the proper ratio of piston diameters, but rather in reference to your reference material of how hydraulics operate and you representing how hydraulics operate with no downside.

Hydraulic brakes on bicycles have improved many levels since the early production versions in the 1990s. Not saying hydraulic brakes are superior or inferior, simply another choice to get you stopped.

Each design and method of actuating, plus each manufacturer has their quirks. Properly setup, Avid BBs are very worthy, The Avid RS brakes on my inspired trials bicycle are a good match for the levers to my fingers ergonomics and accoplish powerful braking. The Shimano XT brakes on my wifes LIV Advanced Pique 1, she loves, where I find the rate linkage notchy and do not like the feel when I am on that bike. My Scorpa has AJP brakes, my KTM uses Brembos, and the Can Am Spyder uses Brembos. Each setup and system has its own merits and demerits. Not so much quoted from a magazine article, but relative to riding and using the brakes.

Not important to you, both our Co-Motion and Ventana both use Avid BB series brakes, and when adjusted well, never leak fluid and have more than enough stopping capability with good modulation at the levers.

Pretty certain, with a touch of effort, minimal if no expense, and care setting up, the original post will have very good brakes.