Old 01-10-19, 09:46 AM
Ironfish653

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 Softride

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
I'm still amazed that people feel inclined to tip at a retail store at all.
I think it depends on the bike shop staff, and your relationship to the shop. Do you see a bike shop as primarily retail, or as a service? They're a little of both, and it kind of depends on the individual shop, and the individual customer.

There are some shops that are strictly retail, and some that encourage the social aspect of cycling. Do they host rides that you regularly attend? Do they encourage riders to 'hang out' and 'talk bikes'? Not every shop is the same.
Are you a 'regular' frequent customer? Do you get most of your parts/ accessories there? Do they regularly service your bikes?
For me, the answers are pretty much all NO. I might drop in to whichever one is closest to me if I need something easy like a tube, cables, or quick-link, but I do my own work, and spec my own parts.

If I had a shop that I was a regular enough at that I commissioned them to do a custom build for me like @indyfabz then I might be inclined to bring by coffee and donuts on a Saturday, or a couple of sixer's on a Friday afternoon.
I had a shop like that once upon a time, but not any more.