Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by smackpotato
Yes a slight misstatement what i ment to say was what you said.
A slight misstatement. I think you and others are whistling past the graveyard. SRM makes a scientific unit and head unit that can capture torque readings every 1/8 of a second. Most other PM's and head units capture 1 second intervals. I do not think 1 second recording is enough granularity to deduce anything.

I assume by max instantaneous power you are referring to a specified interval of time. So let's assume, my average power for a one minute interval was 250 watts and my max 1 second power was 260 watts, is my pedaling efficiency 250/260? Or are you looking at average power over one pedal stroke? So at 90 rpm, one pedal stroke takes .66 seconds and a 1/2 pedal stroke .33 and the power cycle something more like .25 seconds per 1/2 stroke. How do you propose calculating average and instantaneous power over that .25 seconds?

And power is calculated by torque times rpm. So the reading you get from the power meter is torque and rpm. Generally, rpm is generated by an accelerometer or a magnet. The magnet will record every .66 seconds at 90 rpm and accelerometers are notoriously slow to respond to fast changes in crank speed.

So OP, this is your gig and as Keven O'Leary says on Shark Tank...What are you going to do?