View Single Post
Old 01-10-19, 10:30 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Lugged, Dura-Ace Glory

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prologue - '74 Schwinn Paramount P15 - '8X Davidson Impulse - '88 Land Shark Road Shark - '92 Specialized Epic Carbon - '15 Cannondale CAAD10 Disc - '81 Trek 710 - '92? Bushnell Track Bike

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 20grit View Post
Yeah, modern shimano is the only thing that works for me. It doesn't ease my paranoia though. Someday, I'll pick up a bike with more vertical drops, and I'll beat the heck out of it. Until then... i'll just be paranoid.
Well, it's a simple matter of clamping the dropout enough. The lever effort to clamp/close, using your palm, should be pretty stout. Not hulk stout, but enough to make at least somewhat of an impression on your palm. Internally cammed skewers have worked in millions of horizontal dropouts for many years, including being used by professional cyclists in races of all sorts. And pro cyclists put out plenty of power--more than you or I or any of us on this forum could ever--and the rear wheels on their bikes never slipped in their frame. Sure, some dropouts will try and slip the clamping of a skewer more than others. That happens on my '74 Paramount for whatever magical reason. So I know I have to diligently make sure my clamping force via lever is sufficient. When I do that I have no issue.