Old 01-11-19, 09:13 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Last night's commute home was somewhat notable. First, I would occasionally hear something lightly rubbing on a tire when I would go over bumps. It sounded like it was coming from the front tire, so I kept watching that area. Couldn't see anything obvious up there, but I thought maybe a fender stay had come loose and the fender might be rubbing a little. When I got home and got off the bike I turned around to see that my Ortleib bag was hanging near upside down, suspended only by the little hook at the bottom which usually is only used to keep the bag from bouncing against the rack. I must not have gotten the top hooks securely clipped to the rack. I have no idea how it didn't fall off. Odds are that if it had fallen off I wouldn't have even noticed until I got home, and would have been forced to go back and hunt for it. Considering that (among other things) it contained my wallet and my work laptop I got really lucky. So that sound I heard wasn't coming from the front, it was coming from the rear.
A hard lesson that I STILL sometimes overlook, if I hear ANY unusual noise stop and check it. A rustle like leaves, click, whine, anything at all, even if my first thought was "I must have run over something" because if I have to think "I must have", I probably didn't. I dropped some keys one time, and by a fluke remembered where I heard an odd sound and went back and found them! A year or two later I ignored a sound, same keys were lost costing me about $70.