View Single Post
Old 01-11-19, 12:39 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pederson racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Another really obscure Japanese brand.

Found this old ten-speed at Goodwill for a very fair $20 (since the Bontrager tires were fresh and both UKAI steel wheels were in very good condition).

I at first thought that I was seeing a SEARS logo on the headtube, but a closer look revealed the SANKI moniker.

And the frame and fork decals all say "SANKI BEAT".

Mystery is who made it, for whom? Serial says N526 on the seat lug.

How's that for a 1972 (Suntour date code OI) bike-boom contender?

Other than the Suntour drivetrain, the componentry is notably generic. No branding at all on the Altenberger-look hubs, the centerpull brakeset or on the crankset.
Comfortable(!) quilted-top saddle on a 25.8mm chromed steel seatpost, and the gearing is very wide-ranging with huge gaps.

All-up weight is 30.5lbs and the frame geometry is carbon-copy of a 22" Schwinn Varsity but for the frame size being only 55cm. That's right, 70x70 degrees and 56cm or 22" top tube. I actually guessed that it was another Varsinental clone the very first time that I rode it at night (with the dog in tow). It handles trail riding with exceptional stability, I can hold the leash with one hand off the bars, with the dog pulling, while navigating modestly rough and muddy singletrack (good thing it has safety levers)!

The fit is small so I will be passing it along, but it seems to be a great bike with flat pedals for riding to the store or walking the dog.