View Single Post
Old 01-11-19, 05:36 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
If you're comfy on cork tape, there's nothing wrong with sticking to cork tape. It tends to have a fairly short lifespan, but it's cheap and easy to wrap and it's endured as a popular option for several decades.

It's tricky to give recommendations because bar tape needs are very personal, and it's not a precise science. You're ultimately just putting the finishing layer on a contact point, and there's not a lot of right or wrong. And if you want to experiment with things, there's nothing wrong with getting creative. Like, if you want a certain section of the bar to be a bit fatter, you could do something like wrap it with a bit of inner tube on that section before wrapping the bar tape.

And different things can work in different ways. Thick soft tapes are often billed as being "more comfortable" because they provide a wide squishy grip. But when the grip is too soft, the bones can sink in, and the soft tissues in the hand can get compressed and lose circulation and become numb. Furthermore, a big squishy contact point can require more grip force from the hand to achieve a secure grip. One of my bikes has old school cotton cloth tape on it - a very thin and hard wrap - but it feels fine to me because I can ride it with a very light touch, even while grinding out of the saddle. Most of my bikes currently wear cork tape on the handlebars, though.

If you like matching things, you could try using Zipp's Service Course handlebar tape with your Zipp Service Course bars. It seems to get good reception.

Choosing bar tape color to match well with the rest of the bicycle is, of course, of critical importance.