View Single Post
Old 01-11-19, 06:58 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,689
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy View Post
I'm one of the ones, (or maybe I'm the only one) that has this as a pet peeve... Because words mean things.

Just out of curiosity- can you point me to the use of the word "retrofriction" as an engineering term that would mean to "disengage the friction plate in the cable-pull direction"?
It's not an engineering term, but it's clearly what Simplex meant by the phrasing. "Retro" is an abbreviation of the French "retrograde." When you first cable up a friction shifter, it's in its fully-released position; cable-pulling is the first action you can do with it, and cable-releasing reverts it toward its initial state, hence cable-releasing is the "retrograde" direction of a shifter. Friction plate applied in the cable-release direction -> friction in the retrograde direction -> retrofriction.
HTupolev is online now