Old 01-11-19, 09:44 PM
Flying G

Bikes: 1971 Gitane TDF, 1974 Gitane Interclub, 2001 Serotta Rapid Tour CS3 and 1986 Bruce Gordon touring bike, 1972 Gitane Super Corsa (restoration project) and 1978 Michal Johnson mystery road bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thx to all for this really valuable information. While working on the frame this afternoon, I tackled two of the offending "filamentary spots" and sanded the areas clean - each was roughly half the size of a dime. After sanding carefully, all that I encountered was clean bright 531 metal which was a relief at the time. There are some other filamentary spots on the underside of the downtube that can be tackled as well.
I'll take some photos of the "before and after treatments" for these spots and trust that you folks can steer me the right direction.
During the process of purchasing this bike, I learned that it had most likely had been ridden in the 1970s and possibly early 80s and then it ended up in the basement until last fall. The owner passed away in 2006 and his children were uncertain what to do with the bike. Although they were cyclists, a French road bike from 1971 was beyond their comfort level. I don't think that the bike was cleaned up before it was placed in storage as I'm finding that the corrosion on the frame is where road grime and sweat would have accumulated and over time, attract moisture and attack the paint. It is rare to find a large, vintage frame in my size, 64cm, so when I find one of these bikes, it becomes a mission to restore it to it's former glory and ride it in the CA Eroica event.
More info to follow tomorrow when there is better light for photos. Thx again to everyone on this thread!