Old 01-12-19, 12:55 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If you live where you don't have goatheads, and you "never get flats" just run tubeless tires without sealant. As a guy with 5 sets of tubeless wheels who runs tubeless tires exclusively, I'm the first to say they're not for everyone. But you guys who go years without flats talking about how tubeless is unnecessary... yeah it is, for you. On the other hand, I would be looking at 50+ flats every year. And when the choice is between the tubeless tires and the "hassle" of sealant or using heavy, awful, armored tires, I'll take the tubeless.
When you say you run tubeless tires without sealant, I have a follow up question for you: What pressures do you run then? I’m assuming you are talking about a road bike tubeless, since I would think that bigger volume tires always require sealant.

And then also I would like to know: when running tubeless without sealant, how much pressure do you lose overnight?

I tested the Dura Ace 7850 wheels to see if they could hold pressure with no sealant and I would say that they did, but not in a real confidence inspiring way. I pumped up to 88 psi in the early afternoon and by the next morning the pressure had dropped to 50 and a day later it dropped to 25. I’m not sure if the initial pressurizing would be sufficient for a 3 hour ride or if the gradual loss of pressure would be a glaring deficiency....