Old 01-12-19, 03:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2681 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 59 Posts
Arrgghh... seeing those deals on Ironmans elsewhere makes me wanna kick myself again for passing up a couple of deals last year. Most recently was an Ironman identical to my '89 Expert for only $140 from the same seller I bought mine from at $200. Even if it needed more work it would have been a great candidate for a hybrid project I'm considering.

Blasphemy, I know, but I'm liking the current citified hybrid version of my '92 Univega Via Carisma so much, now I want to try the same thing on a lighter weight Ironman frame. Put on some Nitto albatross or North Roads bars, flip 'em to be more aero, switch to bar end shifters, and try it as a faux-path racer.

The only problem with the Univega is, at 30 lbs, it really needs the 12-32 cassette and 30/40/50 triple just to slog up some short, steep local hills. At just 5 lbs lighter the Ironman feels much lighter and wouldn't really need the tractor gears.

Then I could finish morphing the Univega into an errand bike,and get rid of my current 40 lb behemoth errand bike (doesn't really fit me anyway, frame reach is too small and the 170mm cranks feel odd). And I'd have a citified Ironman for rides when my neck says no to drop bars.

Now I just need to persuade my body to get ready for a ride today on the Expert with new tires and different saddle. It's just chilly enough to make it unpleasant. Maybe just a short ride around the neighborhood...