View Single Post
Old 04-17-03, 03:42 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, i just think you have to be prepared to do the trip alone...

about 5 years ago i wanted to tour the Pacific Coast from Vancouver to San Francisco... and it just so happens that a friend of my girlfriend (that i had never met) mentioned he wanted to do a simliar trip... he wanted to do a longer trip, so we planned from Vancouver to Mexico... and it worked out and we met one evening at his house in Vancouver and left for the tour the next day.

we got along quite fine for touring... but we were still each pretty independent with our own tents and bike repair stuff. but we shared my stove and bought some food together and stuff...

unfortunately after 1 week my knee swelled up REALLY bad and i had to take a train back home i sent the stove and a few tools on with him and he completed the tour "alone" although he met up with people along the way. he mailed the stove back to me later.

so, yes, i think for a variety of reasons you should to be prepared to continue the trip alone - either b/c of injury or being unfit or just not matching up as partners...

but hooking up with someone also makes some things easier - like the planning and transport - and can work out really nice