Old 01-13-19, 06:54 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Estuche View Post
Thanks to everyone's helpful contributions I would think the only thing missing are hood-based brake levers made in the US. Though, to add one last query, is there any chance that anyone knows of a 6 or 7 speed freewheel as well?
Winner (or Winners) Manufacturing was a California company that made some really odd roller bearing freehubs. The hub bodies were either clear silver anodized or black. I don’t know all the configurations that they offered but I know for a fact that they made one with their own Dura Ace 7400 7-speed freehub body (I have one). I wish somebody had a stash of Dura Ace freewheel Uniglide cogs to custom make up some free wheels.

They also made a Dura Ace Uniglide 8 speed 130mm hub. There were a few articles about the unique roller clutch design in their freehub body. From what I understand, the roller bearings had instantaneous engagement (zero backlash) due I believe to having no pawls. Instead the roller bearings rode in asymmetric races that only permitted free movement in the counterclockwise direction. When chain tension for forward movement was applied, apparently one end of the roller bearing would skew down a slight ramp ensuring positive engagement.

These were heavily criticized for being a failed design incapable of being ridden in the rain. To me they are very beautiful, equal to Dura Ace in finish quality.

So as to your question about a US built freewheel: my answer is a partial “yes” (freehub body “yes”, cogs “no” but perhaps someone could remedy that deficiency).