View Single Post
Old 01-14-19, 07:22 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
I've raced cross. And worked the races. And promoted CX races. Going back to 1968.

From 9mph to 12mph is a nothing acceleration that could happen without even noticing. If traveling that slow because the course is buried in mud, no, lighter wheels make no difference. If going that slow is happening 50 times per lap and the course is not buried in mud then I question the course design.

Instead of asking the question and then arguing with those of us who have already done the experiment wouldn't it make more sense to borrow a pair of light wheels and find out for yourself?
And how exactly do you propose I gauge accurately changes in accelleration due to wheel weight?

We should first start by asking whether you are making the claim that my calculations in the OP are off. It seems you're implying they are, but have not explicitly said so.

Also...if you want to quibble about corner speeds...pick whatever number you want. 12-15mph if like.