Thread: Pannier talk
View Single Post
Old 01-14-19, 10:16 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I have been using my Ortliebs since 2010, I think they will last longer than I will. Mine are the Backroller Classics. I have not used the water proof Axioms, have no opinion on them.

Regarding the plastic hooks, not a problem. But the hooks on the older ones like mine will deform slowly over time so the little plastic inserts might fall out later. I put some PVC plastic tubing over the rack, I do not use those little plastic inserts. The plastic tubing protects the rack from chaffing.

The photo shows what I am talking about with the PVC tubing, slit lengthwise and held on with electrical tape, I think the tubing was 3/8" ID and 1/2" OD.

REI often discounts their Ortliebs, so if you decide to get them and if you get them from REI, you might want to wait for their big sale in a couple months when they mail out dividends. If they do not discount teh Ortliebs, they usually have a 20 percent off one full price item coupon at that time of year.