View Single Post
Old 01-14-19, 12:17 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
For waterproof panniers it's hard to go wrong with Ortlieb. But I'm not wild about their attachment system and have had a loaded pannier come flying off more than once.

That said, they are well made, completely waterproof and relatively light. And most people haven't had the problems I've had with the Ortlieb attachement, but I find that I have to be very careful about attaching them or I can have them come off when riding through rough patches.

Another brand I really like is Arkel, but I haven't tried their lineup of waterproof panniers. I do have a set of their classic (non-waterproof) panniers and they are excellent and I much prefer the attachment system they use: it's virtually impossible for it to work loose in transit even if I'm careless about attaching them.

But they tend to be heavier than Ortliebs, and I don't know if their waterproof line is as durable as Ortleib, though I suspect they would be well made. The classic Arkel panniers I've got are very well constructed and will likely outlive me for what that's worth.