Old 01-14-19, 05:20 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Best touring bike.

Originally Posted by samkl View Post
Iím talking mashing pedals, yanking on handlebars, sprinting up hills.

I used to be scared of doing that on my recently bought 1990 Miyata 1000LT, but after many miles, a new stem, and replacement of consumables, I feel different. Itís really solid. But would I feel comfortable doing the same on, say, an early 70s Raleigh racing bike? A 1950s Holdsworth? How old a bike/components would you ride hard, and how hard would you ride an old bike and components?
The absolute best touring bike I've ever owned was an old '85 entry level touring bike made by Univega, the Grand Touring. Older bikes are often pretty sturdy and trustworthy. It's pretty tough to beak them. I don't know if I'd go back much beyond that to antique bikes especially as you'd not want to change components on them. I added some friction bar end shifters and some lower gearing to that stiff old Univega and loaded the crap out of it and never had any problem. It wore 27" wheels and I could find tires at any Walmart. In the old days that was an advantage. (not so much, now). The point is I couldn't break that old friend no matter what I did to it. Newer steeds are generally too flexible and more finicky and not as dependable for tough use. Obviously a $2K touring bike would stand up pretty well but I don't think that's the conversation we're having right now.