View Single Post
Old 01-14-19, 09:20 PM
Nguyen Dang

Bikes: Saronni Colnago 1982; Battaglin 1982, Centurion Lemans RS 1978, 3Rensho Katana 1978, C. Borghi Olympia 1980, 3Rensho Athlete 1980's, Holdsworth 1980's and more...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
TGB,
Yes, the Herse is unique, my comments concern the disassembly of many "old" bikes that have "more" value when stripped thus the plethora of used "vintage " Campagnolo or " original" Dura Ace".I can recall purchasing complete bikes for a few hundred dollars ( not that long ago) but now see asking prices for Record cranks at 100 to 150 derailleurs 50 to 100 and so on remove the stem and brakes and you get the picture...look at the adds in the for sale section on the Forum for confirmation/proof of stripping.

I am not against it, to each there own, I buy a frame for 100-200 and need to put several hundred back into parts getting it serviceable... that has always been the way almost all markets seem to go, if there is demand, create more of it....I find it ironic that there are a number of flippers here that do not know the market and want advice on the sale and often are told there is more value in the parts...pick it up for cheap sell it for more excluding their time...If it takes me a few hours to strip and many hours to pack, I have to ask if it is worth it to me to go that route...when I buy parts I am happy to pay for time etc.

I am guilty of buying the parts I need but do remember in the not too distant past I could and have bought complete bikes for that 150 to 250 mark...only an observation nota condemnation...bikes are a hobby to me not a lifestyle...people need to do what they can to validate their ability to purchases an if parting out a bike is part of it so be it.

Make no mistake if it is a hobby and there is joy in stripping and selling great if its a business and money is the motive that is great too...
IMHO it has not much to do with uniqueness.
JM2C's, Ben
Very good comments. I fully agreed with you!