View Single Post
Old 01-15-19, 11:29 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I didn't feel in any danger from other cyclists. Most drivers were very polite but one lost his ****.

I also didn't feel any danger from the weather during the ride, I was on 28s at the time. However the ferry runs on schedule, you don't just automatically get a ride or even shelter when you're finished. 35F and raining isn't terrible when you're working up a hill, but when you're standing outside for half an hour waiting for the boat... As a roadie, it's very hard to have dry clothes ready at the finish. Mylar blanket really didn't add much warmth with freezing rain landing on it, and felt clammy and nasty.

You could get good weather though.
This could be the perfect place for one of those emergency space blankets. Good weather - package stays unto0uched for next year, The weather you saw - that $10 spent at REI could look like the year's best bargain.

I rode Chilly Hilly in the early '90s. Typ, not extreme PNW winter weather and I was prepared. Fun, Nothing really stood out. I liked the ferry ride (but then, I'd spent a year as a reverse commuter (working on Bainbridge Island) and knew the bike routine very well).

Ben