Old 01-16-19, 01:43 PM
BetweenRides
Dog Chaser

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Seven Evergreen, Merlin Cyrene, Trek TCT 5000, Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spare wheels are a great time saver/convenience for travel rides and tours. I have a Seven Evergreen with HED Belgium wheels as the standard and bought a set of HED Ardennes as a second set. I generally run Schwalbe All Arounders on the Belgiums and alternate between road slicks or heavier treads for mud riding on the Ardennes, but right now I have studded knobbies on for Winter snow and off road riding. I'll change these up if needed for a trip where I'm bringing just the one bike and plan on doing more than one type of riding. With the permanent addition of a single washer on the thru axle wrench, the wheels fit my hydraulic discs the same with no adjustments needed.

Switching wheels is faster and much easier - The HED rims are 25mm wide tubeless ready, so many tires are an absolute ***** to remove and install. The All Arounders are particularly bad, requiring the use of a Park seating tool to mount, so I prefer to keep them on all the time. And I have broken quite a few plastic tire wrenches as well.