Old 01-16-19, 03:01 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by JonBailey
I was afraid to call up local bike shops here for inner tubes because my experience indicates they are high price for things. I got that Bell tube at Walmart for under $5 with the Presta. I improvised and made that tube do until my Kenda tubes arrive via shopping.
For reference tubes are about $9 installed here locally. You did fine with your presta adapter. After I got use to presta, I prefer them over schrader valves.
Te brakes are actually decent and I lost the slack in cables so the noodles pull out easily. Yes, my stock rear carrier is the one shown in the picture but it is not set back far enough so that saddle bags hanging on either side aren't kicked by pedaling feet. They did not design this stock rack very well for panniers and whatnot. The rack also does not have pannier guards to keep bags from hitting the wheel.
Both of these issues sound fixable, the brakes should be easy. Are you able to adjust the rack? Maybe watch a few youtube videos about installing racks will give you an idea of how to fix yours.
I'm not a rich man so I had to make do with a BSO.
Shop used? You learn a lot once you get an idea of what you like.

Edit: I checked out the Boise craigslist out of curiosity, and there are quite a few decent bikes at good prices. I don't know your height, but spending ~$100 on a good used bike, they adding your personal touches ($50-$100) may be an option to consider.

Last edited by katsup; 01-16-19 at 03:24 PM.