Old 01-17-19, 10:47 AM
base2 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by joe@vwvortex View Post
I did it when my old rotors were worn out. I think they are stiffer laterally, and that helps keep them truer. Not sure if it's worth the expense unless you need to change them.
Agreed. The Ice-Tech have a better, more rigid spider. This does seem to help with warpage. Probably at least as much as the aluminum layer better distributing the heat load.

My local boutique bike maker has a melted 203 (200mm?) Ice-Tech on the wall of his shop. It was on a tandem and got severely overheated until it failed completly. They don't recommend Ice-Tech for tandems anymore because of that 1 incident. (No word of conditions or the teams descending technique or ability) If it were me though, I'd say considering the terrain you ride in, the benefits may well outweigh the risk given the thousands of tandems roaming the world.

IMO: The Ice-Tech's are better, though there is nothing wrong with Avid.

The OP's rotors do appear awful blue.

OP: I'd look at pads, glazing, & changing descending technique. You would do well with keeping more heat out of the system. Do you drag the rear brake on descents? Doing so never lets the system dissipate heat.