View Single Post
Old 01-22-06, 04:10 PM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
High cadence bad in the long run?

I attended my first ever spinning class today.
(It will also be my last, since it didn't appeal to me at all, but that's another story... )

However, sitting on a spinning bike in front of 19 other people for two hours, people tend to notice the pedalling styles others have.

I've found that I feel most comfortable at relatively high cadences. Above 90 is almost always the case, and usually, I'm well over 100 as well. On an exercise bike, I tend to average about 115-120.
That was the case today, as well, and I probably reached 130-140 during a few of the "sprints", although I had no cadence meter or anything like that, so I'm not sure about the exact cadence.

Anyway, both during and after the class, several different people approached me and told me to slow down my cadence. They said that it might feel all right now, but in a few years, my joints will deteriorate due to the high-speed repetitive stress they're subjected to when using higher cadences.
Presumably, they're thinking of arthrosis and arthritis, as well as micro-tearing of ligaments.

Is there any truth to this?

If you claim there is, can you also provide a link to a reputable source to back that up?

If it's nonsense, I'd be equally grateful for facts supporting that view as well!